Coventry Save Our Children’s Centres press release – 22.11.11

Coventry Save Our Children’s Centres has issued the following press release: COVSOCC will be meeting tomorrow (23rd November) at 12.30 on the steps of the Council House.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 LABOUR CABINET VOTE TO SLASH SURE START NURSERIES IN COVENTRY

 COVENTRY SAVE OUR CHILDREN’S CENTRE campaigners will be at the Council House tomorrow Wednesday 23rd November at 12.30 to learn of the fate for 10 of the city’s Sure Start nurseries based in Children’s Centres across the city at the Labour Council’s Cabinet meeting.

As part of the ABC Fundamental Services Review the Council has proposed to scrap all full time nursery places, all nursery provision for the under two’s and provide only part-time sessions for the over twos during term time only. This will lead to 50% of staff losing their jobs, forcing them into the lower paid private sector.

Campaigning parents have fought hard to oppose the cuts during the 3 month consultation period which ended earlier this month. Parents have already won a number of concessions to the Council’s proposal which include extending the timetable until August to allow current children to stay on until they move to school in September thus avoiding two disruptive changes to their day care. There are also some loose plans to allow parents to buy an extra hour at lunch time.

However lead campaigner Coventry mother Sam Lyle whose son Charlie attends Tile Hill nursery said in response to the Councils concessions that they were “insignificant for the majority of parents who children currently attended the nurseries, furthermore the proposals now fail both working parents and so called vulnerable families by only offering part time sessional care during term time”.

Campaigners which have included parents from across the cities Children’s Centres have already delivered to the Council a petition of 3200 signatures  which they say is evidence that concerns over the nurseries  go well beyond those parents directly affected by the proposed cuts. Campaigner Caroline Wood whose son Jake attends the Stoke Heath nursery said “The whole ethos of Sure Start is being totally undermined by these proposals as narrowly targeting these services is the opposite of social inclusion” she further added “The Council says it aims to provide support to the most vulnerable families but its own proposals fail to do even that if there is no nursery during the school holidays”.

Sam Lyle a Labour Party member in a last minute plea to the Labour Cabinet said “I urge Cabinet members to vote against the proposal in order to save this Flagship Labour Policy even in the face of savage cuts form the National government”.

When: 12.30 Wednesday 23rd November

Where: Steps of the Council House, Coventry City Centre and then to Cabinet room

Contact: Sam Lyle 07968386026 samlyle2001@hotmail.com

 

Advertisements

About coventrywomensvoices

Coventry Womens Voices is an independent group of women’s organisations, organisations working with women and individuals that have come together to ensure women’s voices are heard when policy is made in Coventry. Our mission is to “Make Women’s Voices Heard in Coventry”.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s